- Duration: 1 Year
- Credits: 120
- Campus: City Campus, Avondale
This programme provides students with the required skills and competencies for future work and career opportunities within the specialised field of the New Zealand health care industry. It covers a range of activities and concepts surrounding primary healthcare, public health, health promotion, rehabilitation, health planning and policy making at government level, ethical practice and legislation in health, health research. Students will have the opportunity to develop in depth and specialist knowledge in geriatric and palliative care of the older adult.
The qualification facilitates students’ exploration and learning around contexts of the health experiences of the individual, whānau/families, organisations and communities. Graduates of this programme will develop communication and cultural skills and knowledge enabling them to work within a diverse range of communities in the health care sector and be able to understand and work with specific needs, values and world views in order to reduce inequities and improve health outcomes for all.
The Diploma in Community Health Care and Support (Level 7) qualification has been designed to prepare graduates to gain employment in a variety of community health roles within a wide range of primary, secondary, health and disability sector services. With a significant work placement at the end of the programme, graduates will be work ready and able to apply specialised and technical knowledge and skills in palliative and aged care, rehabilitation, health promotion and primary health care.
Minimum of Level 5 Diploma in Health or associated field and one - year work experience or a level 6 diploma and above of any discipline.
University Entrance or Successful completion of a qualification at Level 5 or above.
Criminal Record Check, Interview and Reference are required.
English Entry Criteria
IELTS Academic score of 6.0 or equivalent with no band less than 5.5 for Students whose first language is not English.
7 papers with 120 credits
Graduates of the Diploma in Community Health Care and Support (Level 7) may be eligible (dependent on a degree from home country, if international) for entry into a variety of further tertiary programmes relating to this field of study, for example:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health, University of Auckland, Massey University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Science, University of Canterbury, Auckland University of Technology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health and Social Practice, Waikato Institute of Technology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Management, University of Otago
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health - PGDipPH, University of Auckland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business in Health Management - PGDipBus , University of Auckland
- Master of Health Sciences, Universities of Otago, Canterbury or Auckland
Graduates of the Diploma in Community Health Care and Support (Level 7) will be able to seek employment in a range of workplaces.
Geriatric: Retirement Villages; Rest Homes; In Home services; Elderly Care Organisations; Acupuncture Clinics; Massage and Reflexology clinics.
Palliative: Hospice; Rest Homes, In-Home services; Retirement Villages; Elderly Care Organisations
Jobs related to this programme - depending on the role some career paths may require further study or registration
- Health Project Manager
- Clinical Service Manager
- Community Health Centre Manager
- Mental Health Sector Manager
- Health and Safety Manager
- Marae, Pasifika or Ethnic Group Health Manager
- Aged Care Centre Manager
- Care Facility Manager
- Client and Care Manager
- Clinic Manager
- Practice Manager
- Health Centre Manager
- Multi-disciplinary Health or Therapy Centre Team Leader
- Community Support Worker
- Community Officer
- Mental Health Worker
- Whanau Support Worker
- Home care Assessor
- Need assessor
- Clinical research assistant
- Psychiatric assistants
- Rehabilitation Coach
- Nursing support Worker
- Research Assistant
- Clinical Research Associate
- Quality Facilitator/Advisor
- Health Promotion Officer
- Health Navigator
- ACC Case Manager
- Senior Communication and Engagement Advisor
- Portfolio Advisor Health Sector Services
- Liaison Officer
- Alcohol and Drug Support Worker
- HLTH6001 Primary Health Care
- HLTH6002 Rehabilitation
- HLTH7001 Professional Practice and Legislation
- HLTH7002 Research for Health Care Practice
- HLTH7003 Geriatric Care
- HLTH7004 Palliative Care – Tiakina Maioha
- HLTH7005 Work Placement